With the introduction of HB 110 this afternoon Delaware is poised to become the 9th state to legalize cannabis for adults over 21 years old. The bill, sponsored by Representatives Keeley, Baumbach, Kowalko, Heffernan, Q. Johnson, Lynn, Osienski, Paradee, B. Short, Viola and Senators Henry, Townsend, Bonini, and Sokola will create a taxed and regulated market for cannabis in Delaware and end the failed War on Cannabis in the First State.
This takes the fight for cannabis legalization in Delaware to a new level! It’s important that citizens express their support for HB 110 by contacting your legislators and telling them to vote “Yes on HB 110.” Also, please take time to thank the bill’s sponsors for their efforts to advance sensible cannabis policy in the First State.
Citizen lobbying is a proven and effective way to convince legislators to act. There are no voter initiatives in Delaware and the only way to legalize cannabis will be through an act of the Legislature. Join the Cannabis Bureau of Delaware for our third Citizens' Lobbying Event of the legislative session on May 11, 2017 at 10:30. Here is what you can do to help Legalize Cannabis in Delaware in 2017.
1) Register for Citizens' Cannabis Lobby Day
2) Make an appointment with your legislators. Use this example to help you:
"Hello, My name is ____; my group is having a citizen lobby day Thursday May 11th, and I would like to set up an appointment to speak to my Representative/ Senator or their aid please".
(We will be attending each meeting in groups, so you will not be alone. We will be holding an orientation session in the morning for effective citizen lobbying techniques so you have an idea of what to expect if you have never lobbied before. Delaware has no voter initiative (referendum process), so directly engaging our local Representatives & Senators is the ONLY way the law will change. Don’t know who your legislator is? Look it up here: https://legis.delaware.gov/, or Contact Us at email@example.com)
3) Spread the word, get others signed up! (CO, WA, OR, AK, CA, MA, ME, NV & DC didn’t legalize themselves; we need people actively helping us engage our legislators to change the law. Share our website (delawarecannabis.org) & Facebook page.)
4) Meet us in the Majority Room for orientation 10:30am. (Talking points will be provided, but feel free to prepare your own personal message, as well. Majority Caucus Room is on the 1st floor, to the left upon entering.)
PLEASE DRESS PROFESSIONALLY.
5) Donate to Delaware CAN to fund events like Lobby Day and our other efforts to legalize cannabis in Delaware in 2017.