We had a large turnout on January 19 for our first citizens' lobbying event of the year and want to send an even bigger message on March 16. Citizen lobbying is a proven and effective way to convince legislators to act. There are no voter initiatives in Delaware and the only way to legalize cannabis will be through an act of the Legislature. Join the Cannabis Bureau of Delaware for our second Citizens' Lobbying Event of the legislative session on March 16, 2017 at 10:30.Here is what you can do to help Legalize Cannabis in Delaware in 2017.
1) Register for Citizens' Cannabis Lobby Day
2) Make an appointment with your legislators. Use this example to help you:
"Hello, My name is ____; my group is having a citizen lobby day Thursday March 16th, and I would like to set up an appointment to speak to my Representative/ Senator or their aid please".
(We will be attending each meeting in groups, so you will not be alone. We will be holding an orientation session in the morning for effective citizen lobbying techniques so you have an idea of what to expect if you have never lobbied before. Delaware has no voter initiative (referendum process), so directly engaging our local Representatives & Senators is the ONLY way the law will change. Don’t know who your legislator is? Look it up here: https://legis.delaware.gov/, or Contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
3) Spread the word, get others signed up! (CO, WA, OR, AK, CA, MA, ME, NV & DC didn’t legalize themselves; we need people actively helping us engage our legislators to change the law. Share our website (delawarecannabis.org) & Facebook page.)
4) Meet us in the Majority Room for orientation 10:30am. (Talking points will be provided, but feel free to prepare your own personal message, as well. Majority Caucus Room is on the 1st floor, to the left upon entering.)
PLEASE DRESS PROFESSIONALLY.
5) Donate to Delaware CAN to fund events like Lobby Day and our other efforts to legalize cannabis in Delaware in 2017.